Re: Tethering and about to give up on this brand.

Hi Bob,

best way to work is using EYEFI pro wifi card (or cheaper if you use only JPG)

and send files to a PC.

Have Lightroom monitor that directory with AUTOIMPORT.

For long shoots with heavy/faster work set K3 to write smallest JPG to the EYEFI

for quick review on the PC and store RAW on the SDcard in slot 1.

Later you can match the two again.

regards

I think if Ricoh wants to catch up/be amongst the leading camera brands in terms of tethering, it has to do what Samsung has announced for the NX1. A SDK.

What is needed is an API, a way to communicate with the camera. Full access.

Retrieve the data/image from the RGB light metering sensor: That way the tethering software can for example try to calculate an exact exposure to try and fit the complete image into the range the sensor can capture, or it can calculate which exposures are necessary for an HDR image that encompasses the complete scene. Or it can trigger the shutter based on changes in brightness (thunderstorms?), colors, ... sections of the image could be marked so that they are watched for a change in order to trigger the shutter, ...

Sensor position: Create bracketing photos that cover as much as possible, or that move around the sensor just by one pixel, to create a photo that doesn't need to be demosaiced. Or that move the sensor around while shooting at an interval.

AF sensor readings, AF motor position/movement information and the ability to control it (focus bracketing for example). Accelerometer sensor readings. etc.

By opening up the community can write a program that goes far beyond the tethering software that Ricoh could produce. Programs that may be specialized for all sorts of specific use cases, where the implementation _in camera_ would be too much (either the camera can't handle it, or input/programming it is impossible, ...).

WiFi and USB access would be good, and also from a demo of the K-S2 it seems like the data transfer is very slow, or the live view image is being transfered over WiFi uncompressed. Samsung's solution is much faster, ... hopefully the K-S2 performance was because it's running not yet finalized software.

If only.....!!!    :-((

So it has been a year and a quarter since we were told "how important" tethering was by Ricoh and still nothing?

Are you willing to try a freeware product called PK_Tether? I tried it with my K10D and it works. Others claim the can use K7 and K5 with it. Give it a try.

Purchased a K-70 based on reviews, etc. only to find that Pentax has no tethering capability.  I have searched all over the net for tethering software and the only one I can find is PK Tether but that website is blocked by our Cisco appliance due to malware on that web site.  Cannot find a different download for PK Tether and don't know if it would work anyway.  K-70 is not on Adobe Lightroom's list of cameras that can be tethered.

So considering selling this camera, len's, etc and switching to Canon simply because Pentax/Ricoh cannot find time to offer tethering software.  Its is sad since K-70 is a nice camera but time to swich.

Will never purchase a Pentax again!