Your original Pentax

Mine is a Pentax SLR, model S1a, bought new in 1968. My second Pentax was the last of the screw mounts, a Pentax ES ll, bought new in either '74 or '75...can't recall. About a month after I bought it, the new , first time K Mounts were introduced. I wished I had known, think I would of bought a new K2 instead.

Both my S1a and ES ll still work.

What was your original Pentax ? When did you buy, do you still have, what recollections do you have with your first Pentax ?

Re: Your original Pentax

My first Pentax was a ME which has recently been donated to another pentax user in the hope it will be used again. (If I want to use film I'd use my fathers old MX, which is now mine...)

My first digital Pentax is the K100d which I still have & will use occationally particularly for IR & UV photography. Though I have a converted mirrorless for most IR work.

My first Pentax is my K-30, switched from a Nikon D40.  I like the quality of Pentax glass and the ability to use older glass nearly seamlessly, and the praise for the Pentax Limiteds is near universal.  Add in that the sensor was class leading at the time with better features (Weather sealing! two control wheels! huge DR from the sensor! DNG RAW files! WR lenses!) compared to the comparable Nikon's it wasn't hard to switch especially since I hadn't really invested in glass yet. 

I'm debating upgrading my K-30, presumably to the K-3 but the new DSLR being showcased at CES in the prototype case looks really interesting as well! 

I've since owned a grip of film bodies (K1000, ME Super, and even the mightly LX) but not have stayed with me.  I've got a portrait photography class this spring that may require a film body however, and there's a good condition MX in the window, tempting me...

My first Pentax was a K-1000 - Don't remember if it said "Honeywell" or "Asahi". I lent it to my younger brother for a semester abroad in Italy, and he will not return it - that was nearly 30 years ago.

I also have an ME Super - the hot shoe doesn't work, but the external flash connection is OK. I have a P3 I picked up at a pawnshop in San Francisco in 1993 with a couple of lenses and it works well, and I've got a couple of SF-1 bodies that I got from eBay in the late 90s - one of them, the rewind motor is shot, so the camera is unusable. The other is fine, I just need to get the batteries.

The problem is, there are only 1 or two places to get film processed in my area now, and they are super expensive. (Who knew all those years ago that the solutions I put my bare hands in were carinogenic and hazardous materials?).

So I'm keeping the cameras for display, and will be using the lenses on my new K-S1. I've got some pretty good glass in the cabinet.

My first Pentax was an H3V.  I wore it out, literally.  The screen froze about half way across the frame and it simply could no longer be repaired.  The H was fllowed by two Spotmatics that saw extensive use both personally and on a light stand in a major university's design program.  We currently enjoy shooting a K7.

The attached was shot with the K7 following a sports outing for our 4 year old grandaughter.  She didn't want to wear "Poppy's" hat at first but then warmed to the idea when I asked if I could take her picture.

Your posting is well timed because I've just written a blog about my entire Pentax camera history since 1981 and how much their various cameras have meant to me - it's also heavy with Pentax camera pictures!

I hope you find it an enjoyable read:

http://www.jonathangorsephotography.com/blog

Jonathan

My first was a SP500 with 55mm F2 lens bought new in 1972. I still have the camera and lens. It has been CLA'd a few times over the years, and is still in perfect condition. I will never sell it.

Mine was the Pentax Super-A, 1983 European Camera of the Year. I still have it although I haven't put a roll of film through it for a while.  I then moved to the k10d and my curernt unit is the k5. I've been hanging off upgrading to the k3 in hope that the FF was just around the corner. That will likely be my next upgrade as I have a number of Sigma FF lenses for it (70-200 f2.8, 24-60 f2.8 and the recent 50-500 f4.5-6.3)... plus some old manual 'A' primes.

My first was a black KX and K50/1.4 given as a college graduation present in 1977.

My second was an MESuper - M50/1.4 - AF200S - accessories kit won in a sales contest in 1984.

I still have both, though the MESuper has been retired due to corrosion in a basement flood.

I grew up with the Pentax MX. Then, got a ME-Super and started shooting weddings and graduations with them. Later, I got a KX and an LX which I still keep to this day as well as a ZX-L that I keep as backups of my digital hardware, which is also Pentax (I'm glad that Pentax made a tradition of backward lens compatibility).