K-3 "Memory Card Error" - Almost tried everything...

Hi everyone! 

I've recently bought a Pentax K3 camera and a 32GB SanDisk Extreme Plus card (80MB/s) as it was listed in the compatible cards on the Pentax K3 page: http://support.us.ricoh-imaging.com/node/1804

The thing is that the K3 shows "Memory Card Error" on the display when I put the card in.

I've tried formatting the card on Windows in FAT32, exFAT and NTSC in both slow and fast modes and with a special software but it doesn't work. I've also checked the firmware version of my camera but it seems to be the latest update (1.11). I even tried to put the card in the SD slot 2 but it doesn't change anything.

After browsing threads on Google, I saw that some expensive cards like SanDisk or Sony may cause compatibility problems with some devices. One guy told that sometimes it might be better to buy a cheap card than an expensive one.

So, I would simply like to know what more I can do before buying another card.

Thanks for caring and sorry for my English; I'm French.

- Greg K.

Re: K-3 "Memory Card Error" - Almost tried everything...

I assume you have formatted it in camera.  I've not heard of any problems with Sanadisk cards in Pentax cameras, Sony yes - best to avoid Sony cards.  If it doesn't fomat in camera it's probably a bad card, do you have another card to make sure the camera is not at fault? 

Also make sure the card doesn't have a write protect switch engaged.

Just got a card error for the first time in years.  Was speck of dust on the contacts.  Since I was out I just blew on it and it was fine.

Yes, I have an old 4GB Class-6 Fujifilm card that works fine in the camera. I've also tried another unknown 2GB card that works as well. 

Yup, it's disabled. 

I've tried to blow on the card and in the contacts inside the SD slot as I already had this problem on another device a while ago but it doesn't change anything. 

Simple question: aren't Pentax cameras limited for high-speed SD cards?

Let's suppose that the K-3 cannot accept cards over 60Mb/s of writing speed, this would explain why my card doesn't work. I have to find another high-speed card of another brand to see if it comes for this type of cards of just my SanDisk. 

It'd be disappointing though: it'd be a shame if the K-3 is limited to basic cards while Pentax praises a reactive camera with good continuous-shooting capacities. 

I looked on Pentax forums and there is no problems with this card, or even faster cards. I would return it as defective. Even if the card is faster than the camera it will still work

I'm gonna try another high-speed card of another brand before considering returning it. It sucks. :/

But thank you everyone for your help. :)