PCA

Re: Dials and Controls

I would like to see aperture control moved back to the lens at least on the D-FA Limited Prime lenses.  Then the ability to program the back thumb wheel to ISO and leave the front wheel as shutter speed.  Fuji and Sony/zeiss are all moving the aperture control back to the lens.

Something I'll like to add is the 'feeling' of those dials and controls. I hope for Pentax to be sure that their movement and detents have the right feeling. Case in point: Pentax MX vs KX and LX film SLR cameras. I used to have most of them and, although I liked the size of the MX, I despised the amount of force needed to just move the shutter-speed dial to the next speed: both the earlier KX and the later LX were smoother and easier to use with the right amount of detent. By the way, I have now a K10D and are still aclimating to it's layout: no problems, so far. When a photographer has the right image in the viewfinder, he or she'll hate to take the eye of it to move a hard-detented dial.

You are right it would be nice. But nothing more. For sure NOT useful...

Even on a K-30 you can hold the ISO button(dont let go) and dial in your desired iso speed with the frontwheel(grip), on my K-5 i hold the ISO button that sits on top and dial in my desired iso speed with the "backside wheel"(display side)

and since you seem to know the "PENTAX Idea" about placing only useful and not to much buttons on their dslr bodies, I just dont know why you brought up this "FN" button idea.

Yes it could be there on a slightly bigger body and sit next to (in a row with)"EV Compensation button" and "ISO button"  between shutter release button and LCD Display...

But i have one new idea for an improvement of dials and controls which doesnt need a redesign of the whole "Pentax Idea": This may sound a bit like inwards singing to you... ;)  but if you think a bit about it, it may come to your mind, that this feature could be useful when doing macrophotography for instance:

" L I V E   D I R E C T I O N A L   A F  A D J U S T M E N T " ! (in your face) :)

Example:

You mount the DFA 100mm on your K-4, K-8, or whatever it will be called. You try to focus on ... lets say a green frog or toad sitting on your lawn. You lay down on the lawn and set your camera so it won't move forwards or backwards "itself" when you shoot. You halfway press the Shutter-Release button. The Focus is near but it misses(it hits some grass in front of the frog). Now you could try to finger around a bit with the quickshift OR...?

Yes! Or you hold that AF button and fine tune the Focus with the frontside wheel(the wheel on the grip) Move it to the right and focus layer moves towards you, or dial to the left to move the focus layer further away from you a bit.

-- so back on the lawn: 

The focus hits some grass in front of the frog. You hold the AF-Button and push the dial wheel on the grip a bit to the left and voila, the focus is where it belongs. You still hold the AF-Button to prevent the DSLR from refocussing, press the shutter button and "CLICK" You catched "Mr. Green" without any hassle.

And talking about focusing. I like the features Magic Lantern offers for enhancing Focus methods on Canon Bodies. (The "Follow Focus" on ML for instance lets you set several focus points that you can recall later when shooting AFAIK.)

On the K-?, one could set such focus points for instance by a quick double-click or better "double-press" of the AF button. For recalling those focus points you could have a double occupancy of the "EV Compensation button" and the "ISO button" as a "RWD Focus"(back one preset focus point) and  "FWD Focus"(forward one preset focus point) buttons.

And yes, we all know,  a professional will always focus manually...yadayada... but another one:

One should be able to set focus speed, that would be pretty cool especially if it comes to amateur video shootings. (Imagine you want to do a semi-professional video report of some event for youtube.)

Why should you buy follow focus constructions that integrate into some rig, than you have to buy another technical trickery... that costs you more and more and more... , when you have features like i mentioned them above and a pretty silent DC or SDM lens?

And still i would like to be able to lock my pictures with the AE-L Button when reviewing them.

(For gods sake...?? why do i have to press around like wild for locking my pix? and no.. we dont need an extra button for that. Pentax has to map that function to the "AE-L button" and we only have to RTFM)

:)

BTW, no function button is needed, the user elements(Four-way controller) on actual professional-pentax bodies like the K-5, K-3 etc. already has what you are searching for.(I always do a short press on OK, when i want to move the focus point)

Sorry for my english. I am no native speaker.

AGAIN:

And still i would like to be able to lock my pictures with the AE-L Button when reviewing them.

(For gods sake...?? why do i have to press around like wild for locking my pix? and no.. we dont need an extra button for that. Pentax has to map that function to the "AE-L button" and we only have to RTFM)

:)

Anyone knows who was the brilliant mind that took off "AF-C" from the focus mode lever of the K3? Yes, if I ever buy it, I'll find my way to Continuous Focusing / Single Focusing setting (hopefully thanks to the owners manual which I hope is excelently written), but I was taken aback by that change when I tried it in a Los Angeles camera store.

I want to add 2 buttons if not too late.

1. Preset +/-EV for quick one time compensation

2. Quick reset to default value of selected controls, undo upon power cycle or toggled