Re: Full Frame- Market Launch 2015

just a big OVF, like the Super ME... I love it, and my eyes will too

[ Edited ]

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to give you some feedback. I've been shooting with Pentax since 1997, with the Pentax 67. Currently i have a K5 and 13 lens, mostly premium quality primes. I take pictures as a hobby. The K5 and more so its successors K5ii and K3 have a lot of good things going for them, not much needs to be changed.

If you build a full-frame K3 with much attention paid to the viewfinder and focusing screen, plus a joystick for selecting AF points i will be thrilled.

to elaborate... and a few more

A. Viewfinder

A big bright viewfinder with an excellent focusing screen like the Canon ee-S. My K5 is equipped with such a focusing screen as well as the eyepiece magnifier. Looking through a large viewfinder adds a lot of pleasure to the photography experience, helps with composition, and the precision of a good focusing screen has a big impact on the users ability to nail focus (even with AF lens). I believe that if the viewfinder is better than the competition, it will be a selling point. Especially as many will want this camera to use with manual focus lens.

Recently you published a patent with a variable-reflectance/transmittance mirror. I wonder if that technology could (eventually) be used to superimpose focus-peaking information onto the OVF.

B. Joystick

A joystick dedicated entirely to selecting focus points

C. K5/K3 features

The specs of the K3 are excellent. Please don't remove any features that are on the K3 model. That includes the detacheable grip, ultra-quiet shutter, weather-sealing, and in-body shake reduction, and AF module

D. AF module

You're welcome to improve on the AF module even further, of course. The one in the FF camera should have the same coverage that the K3 module has on the crop factor.

E. Long exposures

Ability to shoot long exposures beyond 30 secs without a remote. That limitation makes no sense to me

There's one more thing I'd like to add: a better viewfinder information readout.

I'd like to see a translucent LCD overlay where marks can be drawn over the image projected through the viewfinder, such as the AF area, virtual horizon (electronic level) line, and APS-C crop area in crop mode, similar to Canon's Intelligent Viewfinder. (It's sometimes called a polymer network LCD.) This would allow just the right information to be displayed precisely when it's needed.

—DragonLord

From a Pentax user since 1991:

1. ca 36 Mpixels with the option of pixel binning for low light photography. In particular, binning the four pixels of Bayer RGBG into one monochrome pixel can boost ISO dramatically (Bayer interpolation also contributes to the noise).

2. Option of disabling crop for DA lenses.

3. Mirror lockup options and thorough minimisation of shutter shake.

4. Tilt-shift adapter for 645-lenses (for the full use of the large image circle, and tilt-feature for enhanced DOF control). Keeping in mind the price of TS lenses of competing companies, this should be a very attractive feature.

What do I want?  

Agility.   That is, a camera which is adaptable to various uses without engineering making to many assumptions.   Many of my complaints about the K-series over the years have been issues where either Pentax had to do a lot of work ( adding code to the firmware ) that keeps me from doign what I want.   -OR-  Pentax squandering their teriffic IP by not fully reallizing its potential.

Longevity.   As you start charging more and more for a camera body, you cannot just drop the code and then never enhance it.  Your product is equally a SOFTWARE as much as a HARDWARE product.  I'm willing to make a subscription fee ( 10-15% of purchase, lets say ) which covers an extended warranty + firmware enhancements.  And I  mean significant enhancements.  This gives you a sansbox / focus group / beta tester pool in which to experiment with desirable new features.

Open.  Find a means to enable smart people to enhance the camera, or at least integrate it.   All the buttons, knobs, are just a control surface.   Using SDIO ( Flu Card, cough, cough, cough ) as a control mechanism is crappy, bad, horrible, and cripples our ability to do anything with the camera you never thought of - which is a lot of thing.   Want to do it right?   WiFi + a REST interface which allows ALL aspects of shooting to be fed into the camera.    You have 2 SD cards, one of them could be a "smart" SoC card which implements additional features - e.g. uses that same interface to control the camera.   Here is an example:

EX 1 - Astrotracer.  Its buggy.  You could actually implement the whole thing without GPS just by analyzing star trails.    The "callibration" just takes a long exposure.   Software analyzed the trails and calculates the motion of the SR to null out the trails.  This method works.  Is a "code only" feature.   The image processing could be done via a WiFi tethered laptop that just feed in the motion metrics to the SR.

EX 2 - Timelapse.  Its a main because of shot to shot exposure variations.  Provide a means to dampen those changes, or to manage the AE program.   Again, a software only solution.

10,000 other ideas Pentax users have had over the years.

All these software only features has something in common.  They could be accomplished in camera, or with a stupid strap-on RaspberryPi that had the ability to tell the camera what to do in real time.     In other words, what you need to do is provide a means to allow us to write our own scripts to manage the camera.   In fact your own default UI could just be scripted.   Decoupling the UI / operations from the firmware / hardware provides Pentax with more agility.  It mighr even allow us to create a custom UI or oeprational mode.   You don;t need to have open source firmware to make the camera "open."   Just a means to the rest of the worlds smart people to tell the camera to work they way THEY want it to, and a means to share that between the users.   Sure, you have a great consumer camera.   But make it the go-to choice for the nerds.

You want to do something almost visionary?    Take SR to the next level...  Provide for tilting the sensor.    Every lens you own becomes a tilt-shift lens.    This could be done with, what, $40 of additional value, and 2 or 3 tiny motors.  You have to have that huge mirror box - USE THAT.  

Oh, and for the love of god, an articulating scree, please.

-- Bob

[ Edited ]

What I'd like to have:

1) Some sort of user programmable scripting language that allows the camera to be fully controlled in an automated way. This could be a feature for the tethering software

2) No AA filter

3) Astrotracer

4) Builtin gps

5) WiFi

6) Tethering (cable and/or wifi)

7) Fast flash sync

8) Disable the crop on APC lenses (it must be possible for the user to override)

9) Every other function available in the K 5iiS

10) touch screen display

Things that should come by default without anyone asking: A stellar sensor with fantastic low light performance, Weather resistant body, big frame buffer, in body stabilization, super bright optical viewfinder with as close to 100% coverage.

V.

Forgot to add about binning: RGBG binning is also good for color output as there is no Bayer interpolation needed.

High pixel density should be supported by few no-compromise-lenses (apochromatic, without bokeh CA), not necessarily with highest possible aperture (e.g. 2.0/50 mm APO).

Also written on Pentax Forums;

1. Is it possible to do a new improved something like "Active SR System"; complete automatic body controlled (or with an option "Auto" and "Manuel" user modded; also twice input options for zoom lenses like "x mm - y mm")? Then the user doesn't need to choose again and again also not to be confused about the ranges. If the system recognizes the lens' ID 100%, why should user have to choose the range? Also for zoom lenses; can't device adjust every ranges, automatically?

2. And another idea: Some kind of "Lock-switch" for the "four-way control buttons" or an option for that in the system settings. Because it is so easy to change the functions by mistakenly touch.

Regards.

Actually a tilting sensor is not just useful for boutique mini-time lapse or architecture.  It  also enables perfect focus to be achieved for up to 3 subjects simultaneously.   If you could productize that into a 3-D auto focus capability, you could, for example, have the camera automatically shift the sensor to achieve perfect focus on 3 faces - even if they differ significantly in depth of field.

-- Bob

[ Edited ]

A FF K-3 with a 36 MP sensor is exectly what I want. The same compactness and sturdiness and feature set. And the same agressive price point.

Asking for some extra, it might be GPS and super resolution and tethering without WiFi.