Re: Full Frame- Market Launch 2015

I'm an oldie-but-a-moldie photographer who started with an ME (which lasted me for 25 years ... thus my loyalty to Pentax) and used to bulk roll my own film at the newspaper for which I worked. I still have my manual 50mm f/2.0 and use it on my K5II at times (though less now that I got the FA 50mm f/1.4). I usually shoot full manual, single-point autofocus. Younger photographers laugh at me and tell me I shoot like a film guy.

I agree with a previous poster that I would love to see a very fast autofocus. I would love to see an intergrated battery grip with duplicate controls and some tactile differentiator between the green button and AF button. (I hate when I think I'm autofocusing with the battery grip but I'm really just screwing up my exposure settings.)

More improvement in low-light autofocus would be great, too.

Try to keep the buttons where they are on the K5II, please. I use my K10D as a backup, and keep hitting menu when I want to play back my pictures, because that's where the playback button on the K5II is.

That's all I can think of. I'm very happy with my K5II. It will be some time before I can afford the FF (at least another 5 years).

[ Edited ]

I would like to see Pentax leap frog over any issues they've had in the past with video in this FF so that the video shooting capabilites for it will be the best we've ever seen. I would also like to see a serious Pentax mirrorless FF camera. Not that it neccessarily needs to be FF, but at least it will be different and something that can compete with the Sony A7s which has proven to be a highly desirable camera for travelers wanting a smaller yet rugged companion.  

It would be great if we can use it consistently with M42 lenses regardless of the conductivity of their backs, via the official adapter, without adding aluminum foil over the contacts.  A hypothetical "ignore any attached lens" mode in the menu might do the trick.

( In case any readers are unfamiliar with the issues necessitating the use of aluminum foil with Pentax DSLRs and M42 mount lenses, here is a list of mentions of the word "foil" in the thread "How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-5, K-r, K-x, K-7...)" on PentaxForums.com: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=12309165&cx=partner-pub-8894193256862854:2951... )

Other than that, I just hope it will be as reliable a product as we are used to getting from Pentax.  Plenty of quality problems in the industry these days, but Pentax is a name I trust.

For me most important are :

1/ DR minimal 14 EV

2/ Not too much Mpix. 20-24 mln Mpix is ok :-)

3/ movable LCD

4/ Small body size. Like k-3. 

5/ no AA filter but witk simulation like in k-3

6/ Af - very important !!! For me it can be 27 points, but put them maximum wide, not all in the middle. Of course it would be better 39 points instead of 27 :-)

7/ Build in flash lamp I don't need, but better synchro time is a good idea :-)

8/ 2 slot for sd card or CF+ sd :-)

9/ solid WR body

10/ hight capacity of  battery for many pic on one battery.

11/ builid in wifi - and combine it with easy in use and fast transmitter pictures to compute,r to see the results in big scren of computer in real time. You can make also an android  program for controling camera from cellphones.

12/ If build in  gps transmiter will have so strong signal as external gps modul then.....put gps inside :-)  Most important is how strong is signal for me, but it will be nice to have transmiter inside body  :-) 

And point 13 ..... Please build Pentax FF system for professinal use, not for amateurs. Put on the best quality not for low prices :-) Put on professional grade lenses with f 1,2-1,8 for portrait's and 2,0-2,8 for zooms even cost of size of lenses.  Good luck and thanks for FF from Pentax :-)

Particularly excited to finally have a FF in the lineup. In spite of the fact that Pentax make exceptional cameras and that sensor alone doesn't make a piece of gear "professional" by definition, most often the argument I heard was "oh, but they don't have FF bodies in their system, they're not a serious player" and any rebuttal would fall on deaf ears. Well, not anymore.

As for features, if it's built around the same principles of the K-5/K-3, then it will be a great camera—and I don't expect any less. As for improvements and/or features wishlist, off the top of my head:

• AF: speed and accuracy, especially in low light
  • Clean high ISO
  • Tethering for all! (The *istD had it...! I've never understood why this was removed in newer models)
  • Faster flash sync

Again, take the ruggedness, ergonomy and ease-of-use of the K-5/K-3 and take it to the next level without adding gimmicks for the sake of it. You'll have a winner.

First, thanks for pushing the project forward.

We have been hoping to see this for many years!

My pet wish (in FF and APS-C DSLRs)

would be for a "K-01 mode",

giving the option to make these cameras

behave like a mirrorless camera:

Keep the mirror raised all the time

(not dropping/raising when the shutter is released),

and running live view with CDAF and enhanced focus peaking.

[ Edited ]

First post here, just wanted to make some suggestions.

• Improve the AF! Although AF.S is very fast on the K-3 even in low light, AF.C performance can still use some improvement. I'd love to see better AF tracking algorithms so that it can better keep up with fast-moving subjects. More AF points spread wider across the frame (rather than simply keeping a narrow cluster in the center without accounting for the large full-frame sensor) would be very useful as well.
  • Add resolution, but don't sacrifice performance for sports and action photography. The Sony 36-megapixel sensor would be a great choice for resolution, but I wouldn't want to see that come at the cost of continuous shooting speed. Dual image processors would help immensely here—given that the K-3 already does 24 megapixels at close to 9 fps, dual PRIME III processors would allow the camera to handle 36-megapixel images at 10+ fps. SDXC UHS-II memory card slots will help the camera clear the buffer quickly and keep shooting speed up.
  • Improve movie functionality. Add 4K 2160p30 capture using H.265 HEVC and uncompressed HDMI output for professional movie recording. I'd also like to see improved implementation of movie SR allowing a choice between mechanical and electronic stabilization.
  • Use a bigger battery. The flagship DSLRs from Canon and Nikon use 3-cell batteries with extra-high capacity for demanding professional users, while other DSLRs typically use 2-cell batteries. I'd love to see a more powerful battery in the upcoming full-frame camera.

—DragonLord

Disable/Enable crop mode

1) Disable/Enable crop mode.

Some DA lenses are usable in full frame. Having option to use a DA40 ltd or DA35 F2.4 on FF will ease the transition from APS-C to FF.

2) High resolution mode through sensor shift, with multiple exposure.

Even if just through software, not in camera. If you can take 5 high-res shots, and do median filter, slight movement in the scene might not matter.

3) Provide OS for ultra-telephoto, for the sake of viewfinder shake

4) Fast wideangle zoom.

This is a dire need for both APS-C and FF. Ideally the tokina 11-16mm F2.8 clone for APS-C.

5) Fast moderate wide prime (35mm F1.4)

Although sigma has one, so it's not essential.

6) Ultra-wide FA limited (~21mm)

FF equialent of DA15.

This will be probably a crazy idea, but looking to the prism, It doesnt seems to have a hot-shoe neither an integrated flash. Maybe an exchangeable viewfinder, like the old (but great) LX (I still have two of them)? That would be awesome to have on this camera. It would be something very "innovative" from Ricoh. I mean, no digital cameras have this spec. Please Ricoh, consider this idea. =D

[ Edited ]

I would like to see in a FF all the features of the K-3 such as SR, Dual SD, selectable AA, and built in flash.

WiFi

GPS

Faster flash sync

Tiltable LCD

Improved AF

Popup flash lock (please don't remove flash)

4K video

USB3