Re: Full Frame- Market Launch 2015

- Bracketing by 7 or 9 shots (useful for real estate HDR) instead of the max 5 that are currently on K3 or K5... easy to do, and useful to some.

- Integrated O-GPS1 functionnality.

- Remote control of camera using a standard interface (to be able to use multiple pentax or 3rd party remotes (for tethered shooting, quadcopter mounting or other).

My dream ?

A photographer's camera.

Only RAW.

No Video.

More buttons to customise.

Higher sync speed.

Back to the 5 custom user settings. 

That was it. I loved my K-5, and hate my K-3. Why ? Because of the *stupid* photo/video *physical* switch, which used to deport the AF button to a place which is *so bad* that I had to quit using it and now I am *gasp* using the *shutter button* to get AF when I use my K-3

If we *have* to have video (I certainly do *not), then why put the button at the center of the camera ? Seriously, I'm still furious at you (Pentax /Ricoh) for that real bad joke.

Why are there are 12 different modes to get *gasp* JPG aut of the camera when two should be enough (color / BW, and just so that I have a preview) ? A photographer is too lazy to use RAW should use any compact camera anyway.  Yes, I know time is money. But this is killing photographer's businesses every day. Time is money. And what about quality is money ?

So please, Pentax / Ricoh, please, issue *one* photographer's camera. Do just one job, and do it good. Filming is *another* job.

[ Edited ]

First of all - an enormous thank you for finally making our FF dreams a reality. This has been a long time coming for a lot of people, and you made many of your hardcore fans quite excited. This is a great direction for Pentax to go - I'm spreading the news to my fellow photographers who hadn't considered Pentax before due to lack of FF. Way to go!

Wishlist in order of priority:

1) In-body shake reduction. This is a must, and based on the 150-450 specs, I don't think I'll be disappointed .

2) Big bright optical viewfinder with great magnification and replaceable focusing screens. I have high hopes this one will happen too.

3) ISO 50-80 option. This was a huge plus-up for the K-5 that I use all the time, and is sorely missed on the K-3.

4) High DR (via 16-bit depth and solid sensor). I'm of the camp 24MP is enough, but I'll accept higher as long as DR isn't sacrificed.

Finally, a software feature request that I hope you can pass along:

The Av mode has the notion of "auto-ISO speed" which controls the minimum shutter speed allowed before bumping ISO. This speed has only three options: slow, medium, and fast. For instance, at slow, the minimum shutter speed may be 1/60 before bumping ISO, and likewise 1/135 and 1/250 for medium and fast.

I would LOVE to see the front e-dial be used to control that minimum shutter speed instead of the fixed slow, medium, and fast settings. For instance, one minute I'm taking a picture of a landscape, so I reduce minimum shutter speed to 1/50 because I know SR can handle the hand-shake. The next minute, I'm taking a picture of my 4-year old running around, so I crank the minimum shutter speed to 1/200 to make sure he's sharp.

There is no mode to do this sort of operation (TAv is completely different). Right now I'd need to dig through menus to change auto-ISO speed from slow to fast, but with an e-dial setting, I just bump minimum shutter speed and I'm good to go.

I know that was long and wordy, but please do pass this software request along. It would greatly enhance my shooting needs on a regular basis.

Cheers, and thanks again for both making a FF and asking for input!

I would want an Electronic Viewfinder in the new Full Frame camera. For focus peaking in the VF, video in the VF, focus enlargement in the VF. It can adapt to crop modes. Is brighter then an OVF. It can show acurate and live DOF preview. White balance preview. And so forth... I've gotten used to these advantages and they cannot be missed anymore.

But I guess by the size of this camera, and the big hump on top, that this is out of the question for this one.

[ Edited ]

Here is my wish list for the FF:

- excellent low light capability (24 MP max. 30MP sensor)

- improved AF (phase detection)

- small body / WR

- built in GPS

- electronic viewfinder would be great

- higher flash sync

- keep functions of the K-3

... and some new HD prime/limited lenses with F>2.0

I am very happy you are going to release a full frame camera. I've waited for this for a long time. Maybe the strongest side of a full frame camera in my opinion is portrait photography because of good low light performance and a shallow field of view. Wide angle landscape photography is another strong side. If your new camera performs on par or better than the competition you will hopefully have a good chanse to get a bigger marked share. On the other hand. Pentax-fanboys like me will most likely buy whatever you are going to sell us anyway.

Things most people would expect from a flagship fullframe camera:

- Reliable and acurate autofocus

- Sturdy buildt

- An awesome viewfinder

- Responsive and fast performance

- High quality video output with full manual control

- 3 high-end lenses with f2.8 covering all together  14mm-200mm

- Good battery life

- Reliable light metering

- Awesome dynamic range

Things you should include since its a pentax camera

- In camera image stabilizer with AA simulator

- Awesome pentaprism viewfinder

- Weather sealed

- Very good low light performance, 16-36 mp

- built in GPS with astrotracer functionality

Things you should should include because I wish so:

- In camera bulb ramping for holy grail day/night timelapse support

- Manually adjustable crop modes for lenses without fullframe support, 1,5x 1,4x 1,3x etc.

- Open source firmware and/or ability to make apps and functionality to camera

- Tiltable screen

36Mpx
SR
Screw drive AF
MECHANIC APERTURE READOUT!
AA filter simulator
6fps
Good video (4K not important but nice)
PDAF on sensor for LV/video
Hi-res multiple exposure mode for 100mpx stills
Full 35mm mode for DA lenses
Articulated display
Full auto ISO settings (minimal and max. ISO, max. shutter speed)
Electronic first curtain option
Better focus-peaking available for both stills and video

Thanks!;)

And it would be really nice of you if you incorporate the translucent mirror technology with controlled reflexivity...

It's great to see Pentax coming with an FF camera, finally! Nevertheless, as for me, the video feature became paramount in the last years, so I shall not invest in another DSLR any more, no matter how good the sensor is. The optical viewfinder is absolutely useless when making a video, and the LCD visibility is limited under a direct sun. It's funny to see promo Pentax videos explainig how pleasant it is to look through the optical viewfinder on DSLR - well, yes, as long as you enjoy seeing an absolute darkness :-)  Pentax, please stop talking that nonsense.

Actually, I have not been using the optical viewfinder even for making photos on my DSLR during several last years. When I use the viewfinder the photos always come out of focus, perhaps due to the mirror misalignment. Moreover, about half of the photos come as completely black since the mirror doesn't flip up fast enough. So, having this experience, I shall never buy another DSLR.

I'd buy an FF Pentax with an EVF. The features would have to include:

- HD EVF

- excellent video quality (no line skipping anymore!!!, high bitrates, possibly 4K)

- no overheating during taking videos

- mechanical stabilisation of video

- a short register distance mount with an adapter for K lenses (so that we can mount tiny and fast wide angle lenses)

- a large functional grip

- a large capacity battery

Greetings to all of you!

Try to keep it light (similar weight to a D750 if possible, but I know Pentax offers inbody SR that Nikon does not). A retro body design will be great, style similar to a Pentax LX (still considered to be a legend).

Color response/rendition should be amongst the most important criteria of Pentax's first full frame.  Pentax FF lens has produces very special color (& saturated) tone in the film era.  The CCD pre-K10D produced very nice colour but they failed on noise control under modern standard.  Olympus and Fuji (and to a certain extent Kodak in the very past) managed to produce very nice color responses, and I hope Ricoh can have a similar breakthrough with the latest technologies without sacrafising noise control.  Sometimes, I find recent DSLRs (eg. K30/K5) tends to have a slight magenta taint.

I don't think (at least for now) Pentax should target those looking for performance (AF speed, a camara for (sport) journalists), those should have been investing well in other N/C systems for decades.  Keep all functions (& performance) of the K3 in the next full frame, perhaps give us a choice of a high resolution (36+MP) vs. a low resolution version.

On lens offering, I hope Ricoh can launch the first FF with a good travel lens, one similar to the Nikon 24-120/4 or a modern version of the Tokina 24-200.  Pentax used to have amazing FF zooms such as 35-105/3.5, no lens manufacturing has ever produced an AF version for such specification.  Tamron once had AF versions of  28-105/2.8 and 35-105/2.8 but they were never great lens and no K-mount version unfortunately.  I am sure Pentax/Ricoh can produce something better vs. Tamron. On primes, in medium term, try to launch fast (f1.8 - 2.0) primes at 90-105mm or at 135mm.

I have been a pentax user for years, and love the FA/DA limited primes, FA/DA primes, great SMC zooms (such as the 35-105/3.5, SMC 24-90/3.5-4.5) even when they were on APSC.