Re: Full Frame- Market Launch 2015

One more that I forgot from the initial message: lens correction data for A, K and M lenses. These lenses can not be automatically recognised by the body but the user could manually choose the lens from a dedicated menu.

A related idea that would make great use of the highly active Pentax user community: the users could actually participate in collecting the lens correction data for the old lenses. I am assuming Pentax/Ricoh does not have that data and it would require quite a bit of work to accumulate it. It would require a lot of testing, making notes for each lens of post processing fixes done at different f-stop values, focal lengths and shooting conditions. This way, Pentax/Ricoh would only coordinate the efforts and administer the data base, the users would do much of the leg work.

This would make use of two things that Pentax is renowned for: 1) great legacy glass and support for it 2) a great, even fanatic user base!

Cheers, R :-)

Please keep the body with retro design, recent success of the Fuji XT-1, OM-D, Digital PEN, Lumix LX100 (even digital Leica M is survive) shows users love those designs and willing to pay a premium vs. those bulky designs from Canon/Nikon. Call it Pentax 1-LX, LX-K1, D-LX, or Pentax LXd.

I will also suggest Ricoh to redevelop a special teleconverter like the F1.7x (see below link) that can convert any manual K mount lens into an AF lens.  Should make it 1.4x or below (1.0x will be ideal) for a modern version.  In such case, you don't even need a crop factor mode in the new FF cam (the teleconverter will do the same).  Ricoh FF will be super hot with such converter, imagine how big the customer universe can be when any old manual lens will become AF on a digital FF (by converting lens into K-mount).  None of Canon, Nikon nor Sony cams are offering such function.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Pentax-Rear-Teleconverter-F-1.7x-Autofocus-Adapter.html

Bare in mind that the 1.7x Autofocus converter is considered one of the very best teleconverter ever made by Pentax!

[ Edited ]

i'd buy this Pentax long awaited full frame DSLR with these features :

-customisable live view mode (with customisable grids, electronic level)

-intelligent and customisable HDR mode (as in magic lantern firmware)
-in-body panoramic photo mode

-exposure bias dial

-in-body lens distortions corrections profiles

-a pentax version of sony play memory app (to control camera from iphone & android)

thanks in advance for your efforts.

just release it early

No thing .just release it!

Iam sure that pentax will do some thing different than others.

Tanks Ricoh

My main use is photography at dance parties that is published on the web. Venues are really dark.

I am interested in:

large dynamic range

low noise high ISO, clean ISO 25000

fast TTL without the 200 millisecond delay currently on the K3, fix this please

shake reduction

bright view finder

spread out focus points that reach the lines of the 'rule of thirds'

screw drive

Let me use my DA lenses without automatic cropping. They will vignette strongly, no problem, I will sort that out in post production.

I am not interested in a high pixel count. 6 MP is enough, I'd settle for 12 MP.

Put an option in the menu to disable SDM and switch to screw drive. Don't apologize for failing SDM. Electronics will fail sooner or later, I'll live with that. Enable the user to keep working when SDM fails on assignment.

Feature Requests

Feature Requests Hardware:

1. x1.0 and 100% viewfinder
  2. hybrid viewfinder which displays the clipping areas (ideally focus peaking as well)
  3. enhanced flash hot shoe to allow optional accessories such as electronic viewfinders
  4. flash system to support wireless/remote input of all flash settings on all remote flashes
  5. flash system to support grouping of flashes
  6. radio control for flashes instead of optical
  7. in FF camera keep autofocus point spread the same as on K-3, so that at least one AF point is situated on each of then nine thirds crosssections
  8. allow choosing smaller "spot" autofocus point areas (similar to Canon)
  9. add electronic shutters
  10. add "silent" shutter modes
  11. add WiFi that allows remote tethering to smartphones and PCs, including: transfer JPG and Raw files automatically & change any camera setting remotely (especially also barcketing modes etc)
  12. add NFC
  13. add GPS, this should also contain continous track recording functionalities (to be switchen on by user if he requires it)
  14. add USB3 tethering
  15. support the fastest SDcards with UMS II, writing 100 MB/second+
  16. Do not waste space/cost on retro look or features such as dedicated wheels for single functions. No copy of the failed Nikon gimmicks, which are just for a small group of old people.
  17. Do not add prehistoric aperture coupler for a handful obsolete glass. No modern glass needs it. The huge majority of Pentaxians dont want it.
  18. faster x-sync than 1/180
  19. minimum ISO lower than ISO 100, such as ISO 50 or ISO 25.
  20. Crop mode: userdefinable per lens
  21. use lot faster computer chip for autofocus processing than current safox 
  22. flip/tilt back LCD screen
  23. Do not go for less than 8 FPS
  24. Target 4-5 seconds of continuous RAW shooting for buffer size
  25. offer Canon EE-S like focussing screen (interchangeable)
  26. add a small joystick for focus point selection as Canon 5D3 has
  27. Get rid of dedicated video switch
  28. Do not waste effort on video features

The crop mode should be user-controllable. 

From my own (published) experience with using my DA and DA* lenses on a Pentax film camera, I can state the following with certainty: Some DA lenses have just an APS-C sized images circle. Some DA lenses vignette at certain focal lengths but work on FF at other focal lengths. Some (not all) DA* lenses work well already at FF.

In addition, cropping with the camera in normal orientation might be landscape, portrait, or square (etc).

Perhaps cropping will apply by default, but users should be able to override the cropping on a per lens basis. (Similar to the way AF fine adjustments are held).

I want this new camera to be "no compromise, whatever the plausible price". Professional grade, even though I am an amateur.

Not designed down to a price for the "consumer market". (That can come later).

I buy each top-end Pentax (K-7, K-5, K-IIs, K-3) in order to compete with friends who have top-end Canons and Nikons. I have top-end lenses, some FF-ready, and have already pre-ordered the D FA 150-450mm. I will later be buying the D FA* 70-200mm. They deserve the best camera Ricoh can deliver this year.

[ Edited ]

I have no idea about the new crop-mode system but isn't it possible to do and apply some physical/mechanic sensor shifting system to new body design? I added a diagram to explain that what I meant. Then the system can use maximal sensor surface for minimal megapixel loss.

ss.jpg

All the Best!

Love the prototype body shape.  My preferences would include an exposure compensation dial and shutter speed dial.  The mode dial is not essential for photographers like me who almost always use aperture priority or manual.  Finally, a return of aperature rings on lenses would be nice, although I realize that's unlikely.