Best Budget Zoom

I have a *ist DS with the original kit 18-55 lens that I have been using for years. My son recently started playing ice hockey and I am researching my options for a budget zoom. I would like to stay under $400. I am leaning towards the new HD DA 50-300 WR, I have heard mixed reviews on using it for indoor sports. Some say the ice really reflects a lot of light and it won’t be a problem that can’t be worked out and some say to stay away from such a slow lens that I need at least a f/2.8. I would also like to keep it small in case I come across a rink that enforces the lens length rule. So will the new 50-300 work? Is it not worth the extra and I just go with the DA 55-200 and possibly miss the extra reach? Or maybe something like a Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC HSM since it is a touch faster but doesn’t sound as good as the Pentax? Thanks in advance for any advice

Highlighted

Re: Best Budget Zoom

BMiller3 wrote:

I have a *ist DS with the original kit 18-55 lens that I have been using for years. My son recently started playing ice hockey and I am researching my options for a budget zoom. I would like to stay under $400. I am leaning towards the new HD DA 50-300 WR, I have heard mixed reviews on using it for indoor sports. Some say the ice really reflects a lot of light and it won’t be a problem that can’t be worked out and some say to stay away from such a slow lens that I need at least a f/2.8.

I doubt that the 55-300 lens would be fast enough, especially when paired with the old *ist DS. High ISO performance has improved dramatically since the days of the *ist DS, and it's possible that even an f2.8 lens would not be fast enough with that old 6 MP camera.

Probably the best thing to do is take the *ist DS and the kit lens down to the hockey rink and shoot some shots wide open at 55mm and see what kind of quality you can capture. Keep in mind, if you're shooting kids moving with a telephoto lens, you'll need shutter speeds of at least 1/1000, probably more.