Accepted Solution

Can I use an analog Pentax lens with the Pentax K-50?

I want to know if I can use analog lenses, like the Pentax SMC 50mm f2, with digital SLR cameras, no matter if I lose the autofocus function.

Thanks!

Re: Can I use an analog Pentax lens with the Pentax K-50?

Greetings.

Old PENTAX K-bayonet lenses will function with the K-50. An M-Series lens mounted on a K-50 setup for older lenses will operate differently than an M42 lens. (i.e.) pressing the Green button will stop the lens down to shooting aperture, measure the light coming through the lens and automatically set a shutter speed for a good exposure.

However, when an M42 (screw thread) lens is mounted on a K-50 (using Mount Adapter B); pressing the Green button will not automatically measure the light coming through the stopped-down lens and set an appropriate shutter speed (using the same camera settings).

Thanks.

Thanks!

I'm a owner of a olds films Pentax cameras: Pentax MX, ME Super, P3, I have some of manual lens:

SMC Pentax-M SMC 50mm f1.4

SMC Pentax-M SMC 50mm f1.7

SMC Pentax-A 50mm f2

SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8

Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet

SMC Pentax-M 40-80mm F2.8-4

RMC Tokina MF 28mm F2.8

RMC Tokina RMC 35-135 mm f3.5 (KA Mount)

Vivitar 80-200mm F4 MACRO FOCUSING ZOOM MC

I buy a Pentax K3 with:

SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8

Pentax BG-5 Battery Grip

Batery extra and memory

In a offer in B&H. My cousin who's live in USA brings to me in the nex travel the next week. I know that my old lens I could use in K3. I need to know something special to use that's olds manual lens in my new K3. I think that the new lens I can not use in old cameras, no?

Simple response is this:  You can use old film camera lenses in new digital cameras.  You cannot use newer digital lenses with your old film cameras.  

Hope this helps.

Marcus 357

Thanks! Is need some particular thing or is plug and play?

Plug and play so long as they are k-mount.  Make sure to go in to the camera settings and turn the "Use Aperture Ring" function to 2 (Allowed) so it meters correctly.

Thanks for the answer. The "Use Aperture Ring" is a option that could be use with new digital lens too or I need to activate every time I use a ald Pentax M lens?

If I need to configure and is only use when a old manual lens, I can set in the user set1~3?

Thanks in advance!

Another question, when I use a manual lens, I need to set the Focal Length with the option:"Input Focal Length" The focal length that I need to put is 35mm / Full Frame or ASPC? If is ASPC I need to conver the focal lens.

You can leave the feature active regardless of what lens you have attached.

Focal length of the lens is the same regardless of format, so enter what's printed on the lens.  If its a 50mm lens, enter it as a 50mm lens.

Focal length is a physical property of the glass and has nothing to do with sensor or film plane size.  So, a 50mm lens is a 50mm lens if its on a 1" sensor, a m43 sensor, APS-C sensor, 35mm film or sensor, a 6x6 or 6x4.5 Medium format film or sensor, a 4x5 or 8x10 field camera.  The field of view that the lens covers will vary with the sensor/film size, with the smaller formats having a smaller field of view than the larger formats, but again the lens is still and always will be a 50mm focal length.  When people talk about crop factors and equivalent focal lengths when changing formats, they're referring to the change in field of view. Confusing yes, but so is the internet sometimes especially the wacky theories that relate to cameras and lenses.