Question about using older M lens on K5 and K3

When using an older SMC-M lens, such as a 50mm f/1.7, you enter the focal length of the lens when you turn on the camera. When the green button is pressed, the camera sets the shutter speed to get a correct exposure. Does the camera actually use the focal length information to set the shutter speed, or is this just included as part of the information that is displayed during review of the photo. I don't think the focal length information is actuslly used, as I have deliberately selected incorrect focal length info and the photo is still exposed correctly.

The reason for the question is this: If inputting the focal length is for information only, it would be helpful to allow for inputting the selected aperture as well. That way, when the photo is reviewed later, the information regarding the chosen aperture is displayed along with ISO and shutter speed. Additionally, it is preserved and shows up as part of the metadata info in Lightroom and Bridge.

Maybe this could be accomplished as part of a firmware update. Just a suggestion.

Re: Question about using older M lens on K5 and K3

The main reason for inputting the focal length is for the shake reduction to work properly.  It is nice to have it in the EXIF data too.  That woiuld be nice being able to put the aperture in too, as long as it was a feature that could be turned on or off, as it could become very tedious and really slow you down. 

Highlighted

Re: Question about using older M lens on K5 and K3

I had not noticed any affect on shake reduction when I put in the wrong focal length, but I had not really considered that aspect. I am still playing around with these lenses (I have 3), so I'm learning as I go. So far I have found two things: 1. The screen to input the focal length of the lens does not always pop up on startup, but I don't know why; 2. Working quickly is not an issue (so far) since it's not a zoom autofocus lens. So I've got to pay a lot more attention to composition/distance to the subject and preparation before I shoot anyway. I just think it would be very helpful to have the option to input f/stop info as a part of the data that's preserved with the photo so I can later see what I did and how I did it. But you're right, it could become tedious to do, as for the information to be useful I would have to input new f/s stop information each time I changed it.