Why doesn't Pentax/Ricoh offer tether support for Capture one/Lightroom anymore?

Why doesn't Pentax/Ricoh offer tether support for Capture one/Lightroom anymore?  I have the Flucard, and while the wireless system is nice for shooting remotely, I need something that will auto transfer the raw files to a folder that can be watched by lightroom and/or Capture one for auto import and adjustments.  The tether software for the 645z looks promising but is not supporting any other cameras but the 645 system.

Thanks 

Re: Why doesn't Pentax/Ricoh offer tether support for Capture one/Lightroom anymore?

Greetings,

Good question. If you have a WiFi-enabled PC (desktop or laptop) that can recognize the Flucard and trigger Image Capture on the camera, you can transfer images to a specified folder on the PC. When connected to the Flucard, you have a choice of "Remote Capture", "Image View" or "Settings". Select "Image View", you will then be able to select thumbnails of and specify a folder for those images you wish to transfer.   

Thanks,

Re: Why doesn't Pentax/Ricoh offer tether support for Capture one/Lightroom anymore?

[ Edited ]

I agree and am equally annoyed that Capture one/Lightroom tethering once available on Pentax DSLRs has been missing for too long. Poor show by Pentax, Hoya and now Ricoh disapointingly continues the tradition.

I use the K3 in the studio and without the AI filter and using good glass it delivers superb images. So it is up there with the Canon and Nikons in image quality, but it looks a poorer cousin when I cannot tether to a PC with large screen and Lightroom to show clients. I have read that the Pentax 645Z Medium Frame camera uses the same image processing engine as the K3. Other than the obvious physical difference, the same ports exist on the 645Z and the K3 so why doesn't Ricoh/Pentax update the software to recognise and work with the K3?

The Flucard is good but it is slow and once again makes the K3 appear sluggish and inferior to the Canon and Nikon cameras. If the software exists to remotely control the camera and transport images via the Flucard why can't this be ported to provide a hardwire tethering via USB to Lightroom?

Then there is the donationware tethering software PKTether, which has become the defacto tethering software for the most recent incarnations of the the K series APSC cameras. Why hasnt Ricoh/Pentax worked with this developer to lift this from the defacto to a fully-fledged Ricoh/Pentax supported product?

If Ricoh are truelly wanting to engage with loyal Pentax users I hope they are reading, listening and hearing what Pentax devotees are requiring to push Pentax into the big league. With the developments by Canon, Nikon and more recently Sony, Pentax cannot afford to be travelling in the dust and smoke of the competition when Pentax can deliver images that side by side from all cameras look equally impressive.

So again there are at least 3 tethering paths for Rich/Pentax to pursue:

1. Why doesn't Ricoh/Pentax update the 645Z tethering software to recognise and work with the K3?

2. Why can't the Flucard software be ported to provide a hardwire tethering via USB to Lightroom?

3. Why hasn't Ricoh/Pentax worked with the developer of PKTether to lift it from the defacto to a fully-fledged Ricoh/Pentax supported product?

This is obviously a hot topic of interest as there have been 525 views on this Tethering topic (180 views) and the related Bridge Software Topic (345 views).

Is there anyone out there from Ricoh/Pentax or am I just pushing electrons into the WWW in despair and futility?

And as I understand, although FluCard can control the camera, there is no direct way to download images and have them auto-import into Lightroom.  That is a huge design flaw. (maybe works as "designed", but that design falls short of real world requirements. ) Without the ability to instantly download images to the computer, the "tethering" done by FluCard is nonsense.

I am satisfied by EyeFi's ability to download images. Albeit a bit slow, it is useable on site when needed.

Combining both feature sets would make me dump all my EyeFi cards and switch to the other brand.

For my workflow, hard wired tethering is not a sensible option.  The higher speed would be nice, but being physically tied by cables would be hazardous. 

I like your text Pkaye2004:  Is there anyone out there from Ricoh/Pentax or am I just pushing electrons into the WWW in despair and futility?

Let's hear from anyone at Ricoh assigned to monitoring this forum and you have no one doing this now... you should have one very soon.....

If Ricoh doesn't plan to monitor posts in general, there should be a place to ask a direct question.

I second that! I use flucard but its not the same as tethering option. Tethering is great for studio work especially if you are doing product photography and trying to focus stack your images. Ricoh please help!

I agree that the K-3 needs tethering.  I also have the Flu card, and I hate it. It is slow and the software is clunky.  At the very least Pentax should make the interface open source so that someone else can make tethering possible for Pentax users.  I don't understand why you would want to cripple a potentially great camera.  The lack of tethering makes me wish I had chosen another brand of camera equipment.

If I could add one feature to the k-3 it would be wired tethering.  I work in the studio about 50% of the time and really hate having to pull an SD card every 2 or 3 images to check lighting, focus and so on.

I use Lightroom 100% of the time and not having Pentax natively supported there is the only thing that tempts me to switch brands.

Let's face it, you can take good images with any of the major brand cameras.  It is the support and ease of use that decides which camera system I use.

It just looks and feels amatuerish compared to the way the other brands work with Lightroom.

Basically it straight up pisses me off that Ricoh wont even address this anymore after mentioning how important it was the beginning of last year.

I wish I wasn't so invested in the brand I would be totally ditching. If I was starting from scratch, Rico you've lost me.

Looks at Sony here… Taking market share from Canon and Nikon with their new up-to-the-minute technological innovations, and you guys are starting in the Stone Age. You even had tethering 10 years ago what's up with you idiots?

Can you imagine what you could do it technologies like to pixel shift while it was tethered to your camera?!?m you guys are so dropping the ball, and then you won't even answer hundreds of questions about it. Your silence on the subject is aggravating.
Highlighted

I'm hoping that Santa brings me a K-3 or K-3II for Christmas this year and am slightly surprised that the K-3II still has no wired tethering options.  Ricoh, why no tethering love for all of your Pentaxians?  I guess we can hope that the new FF will offer tethering but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Please at least release the API.