Hi studio fans!

Pentax Pro here. I'm a full time commercial photographer, shooting products for a large multinational corp. Previously, I shot apparel and products for some big names, such as the Baseball Hall of Fame. In fact, there is a full page image shot with the Q and 01 lens in a previous holiday catalog. In my free time, I shoot weddings and portraits, as well as product images for small ecommerce use (etsy). My favorite thing about shooting in the studio is playing with complex lighting.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can try to help you out. I tried to add my gear to my signature -- not sure if it will work.

www.EricNoeskePhoto.com | Pentax K-3, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Pentax 15mm f/4 limited, Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 macro, DA 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Pentax 55-300mm f/4.5 - 6.3, Q, QS-1, 01 prime, 02 Std Zoom, 03 fisheye, 06 tele zoom
Bob

Re: Hi studio fans!

Hi eoeske, thanks fo the offer to help with suggestions on studio lighting.  I belong to a group of local photographers who have purchased a studio setup and we have been meeting about once a month to practise with the equipment.  The question I have is related to the size of light boxes.  What would you consider the minimum size for effective use in the studio?

Great question. Assuming this is for portraits and not products or something else, I'd say you should have a range of modifiers in different sizes to create different effects.

A very large 3x4 foot softbox is a great key light for full body shots or as fill. Standard 24-30 inch softboxes are pretty useful for a lot of applications like headshots. 1x3 strip banks are cool for harder edge lighting. 20 inch beauty dishes have their place as well. Even bare strobes can be used.

The acceptable size is much more related to the look you are going after. Larger for soft light, smaller for hard light.

www.EricNoeskePhoto.com | Pentax K-3, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Pentax 15mm f/4 limited, Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 macro, DA 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Pentax 55-300mm f/4.5 - 6.3, Q, QS-1, 01 prime, 02 Std Zoom, 03 fisheye, 06 tele zoom

@Bob, I agree with @enoeske, lots of options out there and what you want/need really depends on what you want to do.

I've found that you really can keep it simple though, nothing wrong with all the options @enoeske mentioned at all, (not trying to flame you Eric!)

My kit is pretty simple. I work with 2 - 40 inch shoot through umbrellas, 2 - 40 inch umbrella softboxes, bare flashes, some gels for color and some home made modifiers (flags, snoots and grids)

That kit has proven to be incredibly versatile for me and frankly, I love it! Here's an example:

IMGP0693.jpg

Granted this is a pretty straightforward lighting setup, (two flashes in umbrealls) so for something a bit more interesting:

IMG_0524-Edit.jpg

This was three lights, two bare bulb shot with gels through fake house plants onto the backdrop, one high above and camera right shot through a grid (no gel)